Sunday, September 22, 2013

Dang that water heater!

I missed all the 49er pregame show and news. My water heater turned on me and gave me a cold shower..I hate that. So,after a 30 second shower of soap on soap off, I get out and get dressed. My water heater is about 7-8 years old,but we had that storm. I didn't know what to expect. Now,its one of the olden days light with a match type, and I had forgotten..that's not good to forget, a certain sequence. Its not even listed on the directions. So, after a few failed pilot light attempts, I'm worried its conked out. I try one more time,and Eureka! the pilot lights...but no burner. WTF?..I go inside,read the internet. Tap on it they say,knock of crud, turn the thermostat back and forth they said,loosen it up. Nothing worked. And all that blew out the pilot- FUCK!..lol.
It came to me friends as it sat their cold and ignoring me. I redo all steps- now 1:00+ hour into sitting on muddy ground going in and out of the home to read,..IT CAME TO ME!  After the pilot is lit? TURN THE RED KNOB TO ON!..lol.  The new water heaters are no longer like this. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

5 comments:

  1. Tony says internet advice will have you chasing your tail. Tony says don't let those numbskulls try talking you into a diy vasectomy. Your knob may not turn on afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sell water heaters and re-lighting the pilot is a pain in the ass. You should see the new "energy saving" ones ... it's a fiasco ... big brother KNOWS we need water heaters that save energy ( but don't make hot water ) .... don't get me started !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I have some rental property with one of those. Hey Slam,if they keep going out-- is that the thermocoupler? Its almost new. And yet every three weeks... Christ.

      Delete
    2. Yes its the thermocouple .... but the heater's on a downward slide .... you can keep replacing them for about another one or two years and buy some time .... its a relatively inexpensive repair...but it's going to the big junkyard in the sky

      Delete